Reserve Reports

Wombwell Main 3-2 Steels Reserves

The Steels’ were unable to turn round a 2 goal deficit despite pulling themselves back into the game in the second half. Two goals from Owen Sykes and one from Kieran Hirst as well as a red card for Louis Shaw was enough to condemn the Steels to an away defeat, despite taking the lead early on.

On a blustery afternoon, the Steels drew first blood. Jimmy Middleton was clearly switched on and latched onto a through ball, the Wombwell keeper was completely hapless as Middleton took it round him and rolled it into an empty net.

One wasn’t enough for a refreshed looking Steels side, a low ball played across the box was inches away from meeting Cole Pyne’s laces as he lurked at the back post, however it instead was poked out for a corner which in turn did not result in any further pressure on the Wombwell net.

There was a heart in mouth moment for Steels keeper Matt King who was judged to have stepped slightly out of his box when claiming the ball, there was some bitterness that he wasn’t sent off, however it would be the Steels left with the sour taste in their mouths as Wombwell’s Owen Sykes fired the ball into the corner from the resulting free kick.

Unfortunately, things didn’t get any better for Richard Holmshaw’s men as they then went behind, after failing to clear their lines at the back Kieran Hirst, for the hosts, rounded Matt King and put the home side ahead.

Matt King was to prevent any further goal deficit before half time, commanding his area and rushing out to block an effort on goal. However, on the stroke of half time, there was nothing more King could do as his side went 3-1 down in an unusual manner, Owen Syke’s corner flying straight over him and into the back of the net without making contact with any other player in orange or red.

The Steels’ flew into the second half immediately trying to pull back the deficit, Louis Shaw’s cross narrowly evaded everyone in the Wombwell box, inches from being the right side of the post.

Stocksbridge grew into the game, and when the ball was floated into the hosts’ box Dan Broomhead made no mistake in nodding the ball in at the far post after a flick on. With the score at 3-2 and with over half the second half to go it looked promising for the visitors.

But fate is a cruel mistress, an off the ball altercation between Louis Shaw and Wombwell’s Jordan Kirshaw saw the Steel’s man receive his marching orders, it is unclear if it was the challenge or the resulting confrontation which earned Shaw his red card.

The Steels’ were unable to turn round the deficit despite showing fight and resolve to get back into the game, Holmshaw’s men will be hoping to turn round their fortunes back on home soil with two upcoming fixtures at Bracken Moor.


Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back to top button