Eco-Power Environmental
Steels Reports

Steels smashed by Stamford

Stamford 5-0 Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels made the trip to Lincolnshire on the back of a 2 game winning run on the road, sadly they were no match for a very strong Stamford side, and they rarely put anything together to threaten the home side, poor discipline also cost us dear, with 5 bookings and Joe Lumsden sent off for stamping, it’s going to be another test of character as they face table topping Belper on Tuesday, taken from Facebook

Here is full match report via Stamford reporter Richard Curtis;

Stamford smashed five goals for the third successive home league game as their impressive start to the South East Division campaign continued at the Zeeco Stadium on Saturday. Tom Siddons struck twice with Cosmos Matwasa, Harry Limb and James Hicks also on target in another dominant Daniels display.

It’s now 17 goals in their opening four Northern Premier League games for Graham’s Drury in-form side who have returned a healthy 10-point haul.

They are now in third place in the early standings after comfortably disposing of a Stocksbridge side who played more of the second half with 10 men following the sending off of Joe Lumsden for violent conduct.

A minute of applause was held ahead of kick-off in memory of former Stamford winger Tommy Robson who passed away this week.

And the Daniels produced another awesome attacking display benefiting the Peterborough United legend who was part of the Stamford side which reached the FA Vase final in 1984.

Stamford’s starting line-up was unchanged from Tuesday night’s derby victory over Lincoln United.

They created the better chances of the opening exchanges with Siddons seeing a shot go narrowly wide while Connor Bartle’s fiercely-struck free-kick on the edge of the box was blocked by the Stocksbridge wall.

Stamford continued to look the more threatening and they broke the deadlock after 20 minutes.

Matwasa robbed Kurtis Turner of possession before taking a couple of strides forward and then unleashing a sweet strike into the bottom corner of the Stocksbridge net from outside the box.

Park Steels briefly responded with Dan Haystead in the home goal getting down smartly to claw away a Josh Nodder free-kick.

But that was the only time that the Stamford goalkeeper was really stretched as Tendai Chitiza twice went close to doubling the Daniels’ advantage before Stamford scored their second goal four minutes before the break.

Skipper Sean Wright’s pinpoint pass picked out Bartle whose cushioned header set Chitiza free down the left and he pulled the ball back for Siddons to sweep home.

Siddons should have added his second and Stamford’s third shortly after the half-time break but he fired wide when well placed from Matwasa’s cross.

However, last season’s top scorer made no mistake after 50 minutes when he rose highest to head home Harry Vince’s corner after Park Steels goalkeeper Ed Hall had missed a back pass which forced the flag kick.

The visitors’ afternoon then got worse as leading marksman Lumsden was red-carded for violent conduct after retaliating to a Vince challenge which left Park Steels to play the final 35 minutes with 10 men.

Substitute Limb rifled home a superb finish into the top corner of the Stocksbridge net with 19 minutes remaining after the visitors had again struggled to clear a Vince corner.

A fifth Stamford goal followed four minutes later to complete the rout as fellow replacement Hicks’ header beat goalkeeper Hall after Rob Morgan’s shot had been blocked with Siddons adding an extra touch to make sure with the ball already over the line.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back to top button