Eco-Power Environmental
Steels Reports

Steels seal first win of season

Sheffield 0-3 Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels picked up their first win of the season with a big 3-0 win over local rivals Sheffield FC.
The win was all down to a fantastic first half display. Josh Nodder netted Stocksbridge’s first league goal of the season after he curled the ball in from the right of the pitch. Luke Mangham finally got the goal he was worked hard for with a powerful effort before Matthew Reay nodded in a corner at the end of the half.

Stocksbridge started on the front foot. Mangham had the chance to get the lead for the Steels after just two minutes but he scuffed his shot and Owen Evans was able to collect.

Sheffield didn’t have many chances in the first half but they did a free kick early on which was blocked. They also had a header at the far post but that was simply saved by Hall.

From there, it was all Stocksbridge. Mangham had a shot palmed away by Evans and then Nodder had a sighter when his free kick curled just wide of the far post.

Stocksbridge then scored their first league goal of the season. They had good passing play on the right which gave some space for Nodder who was able to get his curl right the second time and was able to score a fantastic goal which gave the Steels the lead.

Great passing was the theme of the first half for Stocksbridge as they came close to a second through their ability on the deck. A nifty one-two gave Joe Lumsden space on the left but his shot would be saved by Evans.
The travelling Stocksbridge fans wouldn’t be left disappointed for too long as they’d double their lead soon after Lumsden’s shot. Once again there was some great play, this time on the right courtesy of Jordan Lemon and Lumsden, and this led to the ball going to the feet of Luke Mangham who fired home his first of the season.
And a fantastic first half was capped off with yet another goal. After two goals coming from some great passing moves, this one was far simpler. Nodder put in a fantastic corner and Matthew Reay knocked it in with the top of his head to score his first since his return to Stocksbridge.

In the second half, Sheffield came out with more fight as they looked to get back into the game. They certainly had more of the ball and were able to get some free kicks in dangerous positions. However thanks to strong defending from Stocksbridge, they weren’t able to get much of out of them. The closest Sheffield came to scoring from one of these free kicks was when their captain Lee Cooksey headed just wide of the far post.
In fact Stocksbridge looked more likely to get a goal in the second half as they worked well utilising the counter attack to create opportunities. Lumsden almost got his season opener when he fired over the bar from a narrow angle and Ruthven went clear only for his shot to bobble into the arms of Hall.

There was another rally by Sheffield at the end of the game and they should have got a consolation when a great ball was put into the cross only for Sheldon Jordan to botch his volley which then went high and wide. That meant Hall got his first clean sheet of the season alongside Stocksbridge getting their first three points.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back to top button