Reserve Reports

Steels Reserves 0-6 Wakefield AFC

The Steels were trounced by an impressive Wakefield side who never looked in doubt. A brave early second half display wasn’t enough to halt the away side as a first half hat trick from Jake Morrison, and a second half flurry from Billy Mole, Mohammed Abou and again Morrison

As seems to be the case in most games at Bracken Moor, the Steels had the first chance to get ahead. Some impressive attacking play presented Dylan Gregory with a chance glorious chance to get a shot on from just outside the box however his effort rocketed over.

Minutes later Kirkland in the Stocksbridge net had to be alert to prevent the visitors taking the lead. Owen Kirman was put through by Billy Mole, his low driven effort was saved well by Kirkland and the rebound was headed harmlessly over.

Unfortunately, the deadlock was broken after 10 minutes when Kirman played in Morrison who wasn’t to be denied this time with a low finish into the far corner.

Wakey doubled their lead moments later when a whipped crossed from the left dropped to the feet of 9 again, he faked the shot to bamboozle the Steels defence and the resulting shot found its way into the net via a deflection.

Kirkland was required to pull off some more heroics when Kirman drove into the box on the left and let fly with an effort destined for the far corner, but a finger tip reaction save from the Steels custodian prevented the scoreline getting worse.

In the latter stages of the half the away side again caught the Steels lacking and put in their third, this time in the same position as the first but with an outside of the boot shot which flew into the top corner.

The Steels came out swinging in the second half, determined to claw back the deficit with a number of half chances through Defalco and Gregory. It was Kirkland however who yet again had to keep Stocksbridge in it. Morrison found himself unmarked as the ball dropped to his feet, the feeling was that he should’ve slotted away but Kirkland got down very well to prevent it.

It was to be 4 however, Morrison earned his quadruple after Mole did the hard work on the right side of the box to cut it back and the scorer had the simple task of finishing.

Wakey furthered the Steels woes with a fifth, and soon a sixth. Second half substitute Abou was too quick for Lancini as he cut back for Mole who was, again, unmarked and presented with an easy finish. The sixth came when assister turned scorer Abou capitalised on a scramble in the host’s box.

A miserable afternoon for Stocksbridge as they slump to two defeats at home on the bounce.

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back to top button