Match Reports

Steels Reserves 0-2 Dodworth

Written by Dakir Thanveer

Stocksbridge Park Steels Reserves succumbed to a 2-0 defeat against Dodworth Miners Welfare FC in the EV2 Sportswear Sheffield and Hallamshire County Senior League at home on Saturday.

After suffering an uncharacteristic 5-1 loss against Oughtibridge WMSC in midweek, the Steels Reserves returned to Bracken Moor determined to bounce back with a win. However, it was not meant to be for Mark Fretwell’s side as they found themselves on the backfoot against the third-place team from the first whistle.

Dodworth had first sight of goal in the 13th minute when Stocksbridge failed to clear a long throw-in and the ball fell to Jack Wilson on the edge of the box. The player, though, scuffed his shot, failing to test Addison Bliss in goal.

Seven minutes later, Jack Ripley thought he had opened the scoring for the visitors only for the referee’s offside flag to cut short celebrations. One of the other major chances of the first half fell to Ripley in the 34th minute, but his shot was deflected on for a corner, which Stocksbridge manage to clear.

Despite being under the cosh for most of the first half, the Steels managed to keep Dodworth at bay, with the scoreline reading 0-0 after 45 minutes.

Using the break to reset, Stocksbridge returned for the second half with renewed vigour, with Fretwell throwing Declan Chides and Lucas Bell into the mix early on.

Bliss turned sweeper-keeper in the 56th minute when he rushed off his line to beat Dodworth No. 9 Jack Mawson to the ball. He managed to clear the danger, although he took the man out and was booked in the process.

The Steels were eventually undone by lapses of concentration, with Mawson finding himself through on goal and slotting the ball past Bliss to give his side the lead on the one-hour mark.

Stocksbridge’s best chance of the game fell to Bradley Adams six minutes later. The ball found its way to the attacker at the back post after the visitors failed to deal with a cross from Chides from the right flank. Adams’ attempt to head it in, though, was agonisingly denied by the woodwork.

Bliss, meanwhile, pulled off a fine save to stop a fine Daniel Barlow free-kick on the other end.

Stocksbridge brought on Matthew Lee, Whylie Walford and Kian Holloway with a view of upping the ante in the final minutes of the game, but to no avail.

Dodworth doubled their lead with two minutes to 90 after a Steels player unfortunately turned the ball into his own net following a corner.

The Steels Reserves will now look to put the result behind them when they face Wombwell Main in their next league game on Wednesday, April 10.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button