Match Reports

Steels 3-1 Hebburn Town

Steels go 3rd

Many thanks to Hebburn Town for match report as both Adam and I couldn’t make the away trip.
Hebburn Town suffered a 3-1 defeat to Stocksbridge Park Steels at The Green Energy Sports Ground.

Joe Walton did well in the fifth minute down the left hand side and found Olly Martin, who took a touch before getting his shot away but it was well blocked, before Sean Reid curled the loose ball over the top.

The visitors got their noses in front after nine minutes when Shaun Newbrook came off his line only for Ify Ofoegbu to lob the ball over him into the empty net.

Walton then did well to beat his man and crossed to Martin at the far side of the area, but again his effort was blocked.

In the 18th minute, Robbie Spence’s strike deflected behind for a corner from which he almost managed to force the ball home, but it was scrambled clear.

Martin tried to catch Henry Hampshaw off his line in the 25th, but the keeper backtracked to catch the ball.

Walton then almost forced his way in behind Jack Tinker, but the defender stood his ground well and ushered the ball back to Hampshaw.

On 37, Walton crossed into the area and Liam Henderson went down under a challenge but Martin Conroy waved away the Hebburn appeals.

Two minutes before the break, Hebburn won a free kick on the edge of the Stocksbridge area, with Martin’s effort skimming the top of the post.

As the first half entered its final minute, Newbrook rushed out of his area to clear, with Tomas Poole firing towards the empty net, only for Hebburn to scramble behind for a corner.

Hebburn then survived a late spell of pressure to ensure that they were only one behind at the break.

Just a couple of minutes after the restart, a free kick into the area was headed inches wide by Tom Devitt.

On 52, Stocksbridge doubled their advantage when Hebburn couldn’t deal with a corner and despite Newbrook saving Lewis Macaskill’s low strike, Charlie Oglesby was able to turn home.

Hebburn managed to half those arrears just four minutes later when Walton managed to dig out a cross that was headed home by Reid in front of the keeper.

There was controversy on 66 when Hampshaw slid out of his area with the ball in his hands and a free kick was awarded.

Despite appeals for a red card, Hampshaw was booked and Martin could only hit the wall with the free kick.

With 15 minutes left on the clock, Stocksbridge broke down the right hand side with the ball finding it’s way across to Ofoegbu, who fired narrowly wide.

Martin then pulled the ball across the box for Reid, whose effort was blocked and Martin soon fired another free kick into the wall.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Stocksbridge restored their two goal cushion when Tom Devitt turned into his own net when the ball was fired across goal.

In the final minute before the 90, Martin floated a free kick into the area and Oglesby only narrowly flicked past his own post.

The resulting corner was headed goalwards by Jack Donaghy, sparking huge claims that the ball had crossed the line.

The final kick of the game was Martin testing Hampshaw down low but Hampshaw palmed the ball wide to preserve the 3-1 scoreline.

Stocksbridge Park Steels: Hampshaw, Baker, Tinker, Langton, Oglesby, Murray, Turner, Whelan, Poole, Macaskill (Youmbi 75′) Ofoegbu

Unused subs: Townrow, O’Connor, Ring, Lemon

Goals: Ofoegbu (9′), Oglesby (52′), Devitt (OG, 82′)

Bookings: Ofoegbu (22′), Hampshaw (66′)

Photos: Mike Bayly


Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button