Match Reports

Steels 3-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Stocksbridge Park Steels’ strong first half led to them beating Sheffield Wednesday 3-0.

Both sides had big chances early on in the game. Wednesday would have been frustrated to not be ahead when a lofted ball into the box found an unmarked Devlan Moses but he headed over the bar. At the other end, a free kick was flicked on and Lewis Macaskill was able to convert before he crashed into the post, requiring treatment from Sam Ewans before resuming the game. However, that goal was ruled out for offside.

Stocksbridge would get the opening goal eventually though. Wednesday had it in their defence but Tomas Poole pressed and won the ball off the defender. He advanced into the box and with a powerful finish, he smashed it past Jack Hall and into the back of the net.

The Steels would soon make it 2-0. Stocksbridge whipped in a corner and headed it towards goal but it connected with Sean Fusire’s hand. This led to a spot kick and in a showing off mood, Poole hit a panenka penalty which fooled Hall as he went the wrong as the ball floated away from him and into the back of the net.

At the end of the half, Stocksbridge sealed off a brilliant first half. It was some great passing down the left hand side which led to Ify Ofoegbu slipping a pass to Kurtis Turner on the edge of the box. He then curled the ball into the top corner, leaving Hall with no chance.

Stocksbridge had the first chance of the second half. After an initial shot from Turner rebounded into the air, the Wednesday defence were unable to track where it had gone. Ross Goodwin had though and drived onto the ball and delivered a powerful header. Hall though would make a good diving save to his left to avoid conceding another.

When Stocksbridge made a lot of substitutions in order to give more of their players minutes ahead of the new season, Sheffield Wednesday were able to grow into the game. The Owls had plenty of close range chances but they weren’t able to finish, even when one of their players connected with the ball from two yards out.

However the last big chance would go Stocksbridge’s way. Luke Rawson had picked the ball up in a great area and was able to round the goalkeeper. He seemed certain to get his 7th goal of pre-season but one of the Owls defenders had got back and blocked the shot off the line, keeping the result at 3-0 to the Steels.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button