Match Reports

Steels 2-0 Pontefract Collieries

Stocksbridge Park Steels inched closer to a place in the play-offs with a 2-0 win over Pontefract Collieries.

The Steels got off to a great start as they looked to take advantage of the fact Pontefract had very little to play for. They almost got a goal within the first couple of minutes as well. Stocksbridge put the Pontefract defence under pressure and that forced a poor back pass to Lloyd Allinson. Luke Rawson was able to get onto it but he was too close to the goalkeeper and he couldn’t get the separation on the shot to get it past Allinson.

Stocksbridge were certainly having the better of the early parts of the game but they were very close to getting sucker punched. Just moments after Charlie Oglesby failed to connect with a diving header, a long ball over the top from Pontefract evaded everyone and Declan Bacon got onto the end of it. He looked certain to score but a returning Jack Tinker made a stunning slide tackle to stop his advance and stop Stocksbridge from going behind.

The Steels would continue to be the better side, with Ethan Bojang not being far from his first goal for the club either, and eventually got the goal they deserved. Tomas Poole, who was back from his suspension, whipped in the corner and slightest touch from Ross Goodwin on the near post changed the ball’s direction and it snuck past Allinson.

The Steels were looking for their second but they had to wait until the end of the first half to get it. On the right hand side of the box, the Steels earned a free kick about 30 yards out of the box. Poole stepped over it and hit a brilliant curling shot that left Allinson with no chance as it looped into the top corner. It was the best possible way to end the first half.

Pontefract did rally at the start of the second half as they looked to give themselves the best possible chance of getting back into the game. James Baxendake volleyed a shot over after the Steels failed to clear while Ben Townsend was called into action to save a Spencer Clarke header onto the post.

However, Stocksbridge would be able to resist this rally and they’ll have wondered how they didn’t make it three. Lewis Macaskill was able to break through on goal and go one-on-one with the goalkeeper. He had all the time in the world but in the end he wasn’t able to get it away from Allinson and he was able to make the save.

The game would eventually peter out as Stocksbridge were able to get the win without too much drama.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button