Match Reports

Steels 1-0 Ossett United

Stocksbridge Park Steels picked up their first ever win over Ossett United after beating them 1-0.

The only goal of the game came after 30 minutes when Josh Nodder beat his man and curled the ball past the goalkeeper.

Ossett started off as the most lively side and looked to get an early goal. The Sheepicorns had only won once in their last six games and wanted to stop that bad run with a team they had beaten 3-0 earlier in the season. A Luke Hogg shot went tamely wide as they started off positively.

After that, the Steels got more into the game and were having chances of their own. The first big moment went to Nodder when the ball bounced for him and he volleyed it over. The big chance came from Ossett themselves as Jack Cowgill’s backpass was too short and Luke Mangham looked to race onto it. Matuesz Zaniewski was quick to it as well in the Ossett goal and was able to save with his legs despite going out of the box.

Mangham was very lively in the first half even if he was unable to get the goal. He reacted quickest when Nathaniel Crofts’ close range shot was saved but he couldn’t steer the ball towards goal. His towering header was on target but that was prevented by a diving save from Zaniewski who was impressing in this game.

Stocksbridge’s deserved goal came not long after. Crofts found Nodder on the right wing with a great crossfield ball. The winger was then able to control the ball, beat his man and then curl the ball right past the keeper to give the Steels the lead going into the second half.

The Steels got the second half with a bang as they came close to adding a second with an almighty scramble causing plenty of panic in the Ossett box. The Sheepicorns just about managed to stop the likes of Crofts and Mangham scoring before Kurtis Turner drove a shot wide.

It definitely should have been 2-0 not far after. Great work between Turner and Crofts sent Mangham racing through on goal to go one-on-one with the goalkeeper. His shot would beat Zaniewski but it would also beat the post and go wide.

With Stocksbridge not being able to take their chances and kill the game off, there was some nerves Ossett might come back with an equaliser. There were definitely some scrambles in the box which caused the heart rate to peak but both Lee Cooksey and Reece Fielding were dominant on the ground and the air, clearing anything that was played into the box. It meant Ossett weren’t getting the clear cut chances needed to get the equaliser they wanted.

There would be one final bout of nerves. In the final minute, Ossett got a free kick 30 yards out with Aaron Haswell looming over it. A previous free kick from him had not been too far away, with Ed Hall being forced to make a save from it. This time though, Haswell blared it over and the full time whistle was blown to confirm a big win for the Steels.

MOTM: Lee Cooksey

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button