Match Reports

Rossington Main 4-2 Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels conceded a 2-0 goal lead to lose 4-2 to Rossington Main and go out of the Sheffield Senior Cup.

Michael Trench gave Stocksbridge an early lead with a bullet header. He doubled the lead in the second half with a smart finish at the far post. Deakin got one back when his finish rebounded back off of him and in. Gibbons equalised with a smart finish then with a penalty got the lead for Rossington. They confirmed their victory when Gibbons got his hat trick off the counter attack.

Stocksbridge got off to the best possible start. Lewis Whitham found Josh Nodder on the right with a great ball. The winger then whipped the ball in and Trench headed in with power to give the Steels the lead.

The game then settled down into a midfield tussle as both sides looked to get the ball down and play. But eventually, Stocksbridge had a great chance to double the lead. Nodder found space, this time on the left, and crossed in for Scott Ruthven. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to follow up his goal against Marske United and would volley wide.

Slowly, Rossington got themselves into the game and would put pressure on the Steels defence. Their biggest chance came not long after Ruthven’s chance. New signing Myron Gibbons latched onto a long ball and got the ball past a sliding Rob Ludlam. He went one-on-one with Ed Hall but the Stocksbridge goalkeeper won the duel and saved the shot.

While it was probably fair to say Rossington were having more of the ball, Stocksbridge did get closer to another goal. Kurtis Turner was able to get past a Rossington man before blaring wide. Turner would work well with Nodder later on before getting the ball back to the winger when he skewed it wide. But Stocksbridge would go ahead with the one goal lead.

Rossington continued to put pressure on as the second half begun. One big chance was missed as Gibbons headed wide when it looked like it had gone in. Later, Deakin’s header was saved at close range by Hall.

But it would be Stocksbridge who got the next goal. Whitham’s shot was blocked but he got the ball again and sent another shot off. This was going wide until Trench popped up at the far post to finish it and get his second of the day.

This should have been it but that’s how the nightmare actually started. Firstly, Monteiro got down the wing and got the ball into Deakin. His initial close range shot was saved by Hall but it ricocheted back off the attacker and into the net.

It was soon 2-2. After a free kick, the ball was played quickly to Gibbons and his smart finish levelled things up.

And then as soon as it was level, Rossington had the lead. Ludlam hauled down a forward and the referee quickly pointed to the spot. Gibbons stepped up and sent Hall the wrong way to give the hosts the lead.

Stocksbridge pushed forward as they looked to get an equaliser and force the matter to penalties. This led to a lot of scrappy moments with the Rossington defenders putting their body on the line. Rossington would then catch the Steels on the break and when the ball was played to Gibbons, he finished to get his hat trick and send Stocksbridge out of the cup.

MOTM: Michael Trench

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button