Reserve Reports

Oughtibridge War Memorial 2-1 Steels Reserves

A Luca Defalco stunner and a strong second half showing from the Steels wasn’t enough to overturn a two goal deficit as they succumb to defeat at local rivals Oughtibridge.

The hosts took the lead in the first half through Chris Tunnard despite Womack denying the first shot, the lead was doubled early in the second half again through Tunnard who got onto the end of a low cross. Defalco replied for the Steels with a superb effort from the edge of the area but it wasn’t to be.

Stocksbridge seemed up for it on this sunny afternoon in Oughtibridge, within minutes Dylan Gregory found himself running through on goal after beating the offside trap however the final product wasn’t enough to beat the onrushing Jack Mitchell

Oughtibridge replied not long after with an effort of their own through Matt Harrison but his low driven effort was hit straight at Womack in the Steels net, this was the start of a tit for tat period.

An inswinging corner from Josh Millen fell seemingly perfectly for Luke Webster but, after rising like a salmon, his header fell inches wide of the post.

It was Harrison’s turn again to find himself baring down on goal after the ball was deflected to his feet but his shot was fired harmlessly over the bar. Stocksbridge replied yet again through Webster, a corner swung in from Will Middleton found itself on the head of Webster, alas his second effort of the game couldn’t be directed on target.

Despite the chances, it was the hosts who took the lead. After having chances to score at one end, a sliced clearance from Webster allowed Harrison to get through on goal, his effort was saved well by Womack down to his left, but they weren’t to be denied for long as Charles Tunnard tapped in the rebound.

The last action of the half saw a Dylan Gregory long distance drive parried onto the bar, Daswell couldn’t convert the rebound, his volley straight at the keeper.

Things got worse for Holmshaw’s men, minutes into the second half a low cross from the left hand side snuck under the keeper and through Steels bodies in the box to Tunnard who tapped in to double the host’s lead

Matters were almost worsened even more when a free kick was floated into the Steels box and Webster inadvertently directed it towards his own net forcing Womack to parry it out for a corner.

Hope was renewed with the introduction of Defalco off the bench, and in an increasingly common fashion he made an almost instant impact. The ball fell to him in the 18 yard box and after taking control of the ball he catapulted it into the top far corner to pull the Steels right back into the game.

For the next 20 minutes the Steels were camped in the host’s half, launching countless balls into the box but to no avail. Stocksbridge thought they’d managed to grab an equaliser after a nod down from Defalco fell to the feet of Webster, he poked the ball into the net but unfortunately the flag was raised.

A dominant second half wasn’t quite enough to earn the Steels a point and it falls to next Saturday’s game at home to Wombwell to rectify the loss.


Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Back to top button