Match Reports

Lincoln United 0-1 Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels fell to their third defeat in a row when they lost 1-0 to Lincoln United.

Stocksbridge did have more of the ball in the first part of the game but they were unable to create any chances with it. This would be punished as when Lincoln got a chance, they took it. The Steels didn’t clear from the corner and first Matthew Cotton’s shot was well saved by Ben Townsend. The ball rebounded to Callum Foster who slammed it into the bottom corner, giving the Whites the lead.

The first half was one of very few chances, so we’re just going to move on to the second half in this report.

The second half started off well for Stocksbridge and that was down to substitute Lewis Macaskill who came on after the half time break. He turned his full back inside out and when reinforcements came to stop his march inside the box, he laid it off to Mitch Langton who tried to curl it around the goalkeeper, only for it to be blocked by Callum Foster.

Macaskill was central to Stocksbridge’s next big chance as well. He went down the left and managed to get a ball across the edge of the box, though it did take a few touches and scuffs along the way, and it fell to Luke Rawson. He tried to fire home but Jack Steggles was at full stretch to stop it from nestling inside his bottom corner.

While this was a good passage of play for Stocksbridge, Lincoln were looking to double their lead and they did get chances at the other end. After some good play, Tobias Liversidge’s shot from the edge of the box was well saved and Jake Park was first onto it. Somehow, the man who scored in the last minute to beat the Steels last time out could only put it wide from close range.

Tomas Poole came close from a free kick later on. Rawson earned a free kick after a shove in the back and it did seem like Poole was too far away to try the shot. But try he did and it would only be a couple of inches away from making its way into the bottom corner.

Lincoln though remained on top and they could have added more if they were able to capitalise on the counter attacks which took advantage of the Steels pressing forward. Stocksbridge’s last chance fell to Ify Ofoegbu that effort was well saved by Steggles who ensured Stocksbridge would have to wave the white flag.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button