Match Reports

Grimsby Borough 1-1 Steels

10-man Stocksbridge Park Steels were not able to get all three points despite their second half domination against Grimsby Borough.

The Steels started off as the better side but did struggle to turn their possession into chances, especially with Luke Rawson missing due to injury. The best chance went Tomas Poole’s way as he got the beating off his man but his shot was saved by the trailing leg of Liam Higton.

Grimsby Borough started to grow into the game after the first ten minutes but were also restricted from creating chances. They did try some efforts from range and it was Owen Davey’s oddly moving shot which forced Harrison Davison-Hale into an acrobatic save.

Eventually though, the Borough would take the lead. The initial long throw from Caine Winfarrah was headed back to him and his curling cross evaded everyone in the box. However it would finish up in the bottom corner, giving the Lincolnshire side the lead.

It’d soon get worse for the Steels. Winfarrah was subject to a late challenge from Leigh Whelan and the free kick was given. With this being a standard 50:50 tackle, not many expected the referee to dish out the red card, which is exactly what he did, with Whelan being sent for an early shower for the challenge.

Oddly, as the end of the first half and then the second half, the Steels probably played better with ten men as they fought to try and get back into the match. One great opportunity came when Ify Ofoegbu was able to out battle his defender and break through into the box but Higton was able to make the save and stop him from scoring.

Things would be evened up soon though. Jaz Goundry had started giving a few fouls away on the edge of the box and would get a booking for it in the second half. Just a few minutes later, he got another for one that wasn’t too far off being a penalty, so getting his marching orders.

Stocksbridge would continue to create great chances for themselves and it was their full-backs who could have got onto the score sheet. The first chance fell to Jack Tinker whose close range hander some how went over. Then another great cross found Bailey Baker with his own close range header but it bounced wide despite it looking like it might had gone in.

Eventually though, the Steels got their deserved goal. Poole put in a great ball and Charlie Oglesby, who had luck shine on him earlier in the game after only being booked for a foul that could have been deemed as last man, who got onto the end of it with a strong header which hit the back of the net.

Stocksbridge tried to push forward to get the winner but Grimsby did catch them on the counter a bit and the Steels had to be wary of a Lincoln United situation happening again. While Kenan McKenzie-Grey did blare a shot over after a great run on the left wing, no one could get the winner and both teams would have to settle for a point.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button