Match Reports

Bridlington Town 4-0 Steels

Stocksbridge Park Steels suffered their biggest loss in 18 months as they fell 4-0 to Bridlington Town.

The Steels did start the game brightly. Tomas Poole was causing problems with an early effort forcing James Hitchcock into action. He would have another strike from a similar position on the pitch but that one would go wide.

Bridlington would then get into the game and they’d soon have their goal. A good ball played in Ali Aydemir on the right wing who found an onrushing Benn Lewis in the box. He then slammed the ball into the roof of the net, giving the seaside club the lead.

Minutes late, Bridlington were two ahead. They had a corner on the right and Andy Norfolk pinged the ball in. Jack Walters was unmarked and he powered a free header in, giving Bridlington a two goal advantage.

One concerned moment would happen later in the first half. Luke Rawson and Tomas Poole tried sliding into the six-yard area to convert a good low ball into that area, but Bridlington were able to defend it and Rawson was penalised for making contact with the goalkeeper. However, a boot made contact with Rawson’s eye, causing a serious injury. Rawson would be taken off and returned from A&E looking like he would be shouting for Adrian after the match ended.

In the second half, Stocksbridge pushed forward and tried to get back into the game. The best opportunity would fall to Curtis Davies, who forced a mistake from the Bridlington defence. He tried to curl the ball into the bottom corner but Hitchcock made another good save, keeping Stocksbridge out.

But it would soon go wrong for Stocksbridge. A switch in place was intercepted by Aydemir and he soon took off down the pitch with no one being able to catch him. He would then finish past Townsend, killing the game off as a contest.

Three minutes later and it was even worse. Lewis Dennison’s cross came from the left and Aydemir was there at the far post to finish, making sure that Bridlington would have a big win to remember from the day.

It was easy to say could it get worse, but the football gods would find a way to do. Jordan Lemon, who was captain for the day with Ross Goodwin and Kurtis Turner out, would be sent off for dissent as frustrations got too much for the team. And just to make it even worse, Poole would also get sent off later for dissent as well. It capped off a terrible trip to the seaside for the Steels.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Back to top button